Benefits Of lighting Deepam-Deeparadhana
Importance of Lighting Lamps, Benefits Of lighting Deepam, Benefits Of Deeparadhana, Benefits Of lighting Diya, Significance of a Deepam, why do we light Deepam, Benefits Of lighting Jyoti, why should we do Deeparadhana, different oils used in lighting Deepam, different oils used in Deeparadhana, different wicks-Vattulu used in lighting Deepam, different wicks-Vattulu used in Deeparadhana
In almost every Indian home lighting lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana is done, some people lit lamps in front of god (devudi Gudi), some people lit lamps in front of Tulasi, in some houses people lit lamps-Deepam-Deeparadhana at dawn, in some houses people lit lamps-Deepam-Deeparadhana in dawn and dusk and few people lit lamps-Deepam-Deeparadhana (Akhanda Deepam).
Significance of lighting a lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana
Light symbolizes knowledge, and darkness, ignorance. The Lord is the “Knowledge Principle” (chaitanya) who is the source, the enlivener and the illuminator of all knowledge. Hence light is worshiped as the Lord himself.
Knowledge removes ignorance just as light removes darkness. Also knowledge is a lasting inner wealth by which all outer achievement can be accomplished. Hence we light the lamp to bow down to knowledge as the greatest of all forms of wealth
Why not light a bulb or tube light? That too would remove darkness.. But the traditional oil lamp has a further spiritual significance. The oil or ghee in the lamp symbolizes our vaasanas or negative tendencies and the wick, the ego. When lit by spiritual knowledge, the vaasanas get slowly exhausted and the ego too finally perishes. The flame of a lamp always burns upwards. Similarly we should acquire such knowledge as to take us towards higher ideals.
Deepam is full of symbolism. It means that if you have faith, you’ll see God. deepam(lamp) = body, wick = guru, oil = faith, light = God.
Scientific Reasons of lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana:
The light rays produces magnetic forces and change the atmosphere of the room and the air content in the room changes a lot, which penetrates through the skin of the human, activate the nerves penetrates thro the nerves and directly curing the blood. saligramas which will split the light in to several parts as Ultra violet, ultra red, Ultra blue, and produces ultra sound which takes the light rays in to the body. Turmeric, near those saligramas which will act as a preservative. The electromagnetic force that settles on the skin still works for three hours so that it penetrates in the body and encourages the blood cells. It also chases away the diseases.
The science of the modern day is doing a wonderful job; but it does not care to show ways of nature itself to mankind; for helping itself with; especially by giving knowledge, wisdom and intelligence of the full, complete and whole powers, strength and abilities of them.
Types of oil lamps used for Deepam-Deeparadhana:
- Clay lamp: Clay lamps are widely using for spiritual rituals and the significance of clay lamp is extreme in all kinds of prayers and devotional religious customs.
- Silver lamp: silver lamp is inflamed to impress the moon and this step is supposed to get rid of poverty.
- Gold lamp: Gold lamp is inflamed for health, wealth and expansions of business or any other developments.
- Brass lamp: Brass lamps are easily available with affordable price and its durability is very high.
Clay lamps and Brass lamps are very popular because of availability and afford. But none of them use Iron and steel oil lamps for Hindu spiritual rituals in their houses. Silver and gold lamps are expensive to use.
Benefits of lighting lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana with different oils:
- Cow’s ghee – Ensures radiance and Heavenly bliss, prosperity, health and happiness.
- Ghee – Wealth, Health and Happiness. Most beneficial. Emits highly powerful energy.
- Gingely oil/Sesame oil – Removes unforeseen dangers, inauspicious events. Good for skin. Ensures removal of obstacles and evil effects that haunt you.
- Castor oil – Fame, Happy family life, and to gain Spiritual intellect
- Vegetable oil deepams release good energy in the environment. So, it makes us peaceful.
- Lighting with Neem Oil gives Wealth.
Benefits of lighting lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana with wicks(Vattulu):
- A lamp that has a wick made out of the stem of the banana plant is supposed to bring one good luck, removes offences before God and ancestral curse.
- Wick made of cotton brings Prosperity and all good fortune.
- Wicks made out of the stalks of lotus/ Lotus stem fiber bring prosperity, removes karma from previous birth.
- The White Maddar plant–pulp of the bark Wick increases the wealth and dispels misfotunes
- New Yellow Cotton cloth Wick obtains Grace of Devi’s blessings.
- New Red Cotton cloth Wick removes any marriage and child bearing obstacles.
Benefits of Deepam-Deeparadhana with different lamps:
- Those who Light LEMON LAMP will excel in studies, un-married will find a good partner,married ladies will have happy married life and their families will prosper, the childless couple will be blessed with children and prosperous life.
For making a lemon lamp : First take a fresh lemon and then cut it to middle and take away the juice and seeds from the cut lemon and then invert it.
- Those who Light the ASH GOURD LAMP will be supportive for those who have sufferings and Dhoshas.
- Those who light COCONUT LAMP will be propitious for child birth and brings good fortune and wealth.
Directions to be followed for placing/litting lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana:
- North – Gives Success in all ventures undertaken. Most preferable direction to place and light a lamp. You will be blessed with 8 kinds of wealth or Ashta-ishwaryas. Ensures success in everything you do.
- East – Blesses good health and peace of mind, removes Sorrow and Evil
- West – It will free you from debts and ensure victory over negative forces
- South – Never place and light a lamp in the south. It will bring inauspicious events…
Number of Cotton Wicks to be used in lighting Deepam-Deeparadhana:
- Single wick (Eka Mukha Deepam) is normal/medium benefit
- Two wicks (Dwimuka deepam) brings harmony and peace in the family and relatives
- Three wicks (Trimukha Deepam) Blesses with progeny
- Four wicks (Chathurmukha deepam) brings allround prosperity and Sumptous food
- Five wicks (Panchamkukha deepam) showers akhanda aishwaryam (Wealth)
- Six wicks (Shanmukha deepam) blesses with Akhanda Gyana (Knowledge) & Vairagyam(Renunciation)
Slokas to be chant:
The shloka to be chant while lighting the lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana
Subham Karoti Kalyanam,
Arogyam Dhana Sampadah,
Shatru Buddhi Vinashaya
Deepa Jyotir Namostute.
Meaning : I salute the One who is the lamplight that brings auspiciousness; prosperity, good health, abundance of wealth, and the destruction of the intellect’s enemy (6 enemies – Kama, krodha, lobha, moha, mada and matsarya).
After lighting the lamp-Deepam-Deeparadhana, chant the prayer
Deepo me hara tu paapam,
Deepa Jyothir Namostute
Meaning: I salute the Brahman, the sustainer of the creation, in the form of this light. I salute the Lord, may He destroy afflictions resulting from my omissions and commissions.
Caution-Things not to do while lighting Deepam-Deeparadhana:
- We should not use Groundnut Oil for lighting lamp.
- After lighting the lamp don’t rub the excess oil on you hair,(it will make you lose your wealth)
- Never use steel plates underneath the lamp holders, use clay, bronze, silver or gold, you can even place lamp holders on betel or plantain leaves. Lamps should not touch the ground directly
- Lampholders should be cleaned daily
- Cotton wicks and the oil should be changed everyday
- Never leave lighted deepams unattended.If you are away from home, make sure to move the lamp holders from the pooja area and place them in a small tumbler filled with little water or while doing prayers itself..add very little oil/ghee so that the diyas won’t last for hours and they blew off on its own.. Never blow off lighted deepams. In some traditions…. the lamp is not allowed to blew off on its own.; rather sumangalis pull the wick down when very little oil/ghee is left and sprinkle raw milk on the wicks.
- Deepam made of Lemon should not be light at home at all, Only in temples.
- Never Light a Lamp towards SOUTH, being regarded as inauspicious.