Health Benefits Of Black Nightshade-Kamanchi
Health Benefits Of Black Nightshade-Kamanchi-Kakamanchi, nutritional values Of Black Nightshade-Kamanchi-Kakamanchi, Black Nightshade-Kamanchi-Kakamanchi used in curing disease treatment, Black Nightshade, Kamanchi, Vegetables
Black nightshade, Duscle, Garden Nightshade, Hound’s Berry, Petty Morel, Wonder Berry,Black-berry night shade, Nightshade, Poisonberry is a fairly common herb or short-lived perennial shrub. In India, the berries are casually grown and eaten; but not cultivated for commercial use. The berries are referred to as “fragrant tomato”.
Although not very popular across much of its growing region, the fruit and dish are common in Northern Tamil Nadu, Southern Andhra and Southern Karnataka. People use the whole black nightshade plant including leaves, fruit, and root to make medicine.
The whole plant is alterative, antiperiodic, constipative, demulscent, diaphoretic, diuretic, emollient, expectorant, febrifuge, hepatoprotective, hydragogue, narcotic, sedative and tonic. It is effective in the treatment of cirrhosis of the liver , spleen and is also credited with emollient, antiseptic and laxative properties. It has a protective effect on the liver and has shown hepatoprotective activity in cases of toxicity induced by drugs and chemicals. Useful in chronic enlargement of liver (hepatomegaly).Also useful in heart diseases, skin diseases, piles, gonorrhoea, prostate swelling, and inflammatory swellings. Useful in cough and consumption.
The Black Nightshade-Kamanchi is known by many other names in India regional wise like –
Black Nightshade called in Hindi : Mokoi
Black Nightshade called in Telugu : Kamanchi, Kakamanchi
Black Nightshade called in Kannada : ganike gida, ganike, Ganikesopu
Black Nightshade called in Malayalam : Mulaku-thakkali
Black Nightshade called in Tamil : Manatakkali
Black Nightshade called in Marathi : Kamoni, Ghati
Black Nightshade called in Bengali : Gurkamai
Black Nightshade called in Gujarati : Piludi
Nutritional value Of Black Nightshade-Kamanchi Leaves:
Black Nightshade-Kamanchi-Kakamanchi contains Protein, Fat, Carbohydrate, Fibre, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Zinc, Vitamin A, Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
Health Benefits Of Black Nightshade-Kamanchi-Kakamanchi
- Black Nightshade is a valuable cardiac tonic. It corrects disordered processes of nutrition by which the organism ingests, digests, absorbs, transports, utilizes and excretes food substances, and restores the normal function of the system. It also reduces excitement, irritation and pain.
- Black Nightshade plant is beneficial in the treatment of dropsy. It increases the secretion and discharge of urine.
- Black Nightshade leaves are effective in the treatment of digestive disorders. The raw juice of the leaves can be used alone or mixed with other juices or liquids. It is used in stomach disorders like flatulence, peptic ulcers and colitis. An infusion of the plant is useful in dysentery and other stomach ailments.
- Black Nightshade plant helps in removing catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes in asthma patients. The fruits of the plant can also be used beneficially in treating asthma.
- Black Nightshade plant is useful in chronic skin diseases such as acne, eczema and psoriasis. As an anodyne or pain reliever, a decoction of the plant can be used for washing inflamed, irritated and painful parts of the body.
- Black Nightshade paste of the plant serves as a useful applicant over corrosive ulcers, pustules and suppurating syphilitic ulcers, severe burns, herpes and rheumatic joints.
- Hot leaves can be applied with gratifying results over swollen and painful scortum and testicles.
- The juice of black nightshade is sometimes used to treat fever and alleviate pain.
- Its fruit is used as a cosmetic; as rubbing its seeds on the cheeks helps remove freckles. Children extensively eat the mature fruit. It has been used for diabetes as well.
- In Northern India, the boiled extracts of its leaves and fruits are used to alleviate the discomfort caused by liver-related ailments, even in jaundice.
- The leaves of black nightshade plant strongly promote perspiration, when ingested in small amounts. They work to purge the bowels the next day.
- The juice of the herb or an ointment prepared from it is externally applied to cure certain skin problems and tumors.
- A decoction of the stalk, leaves, and roots of black nightshade is beneficial for wounds and cancerous sores.
- Its berries are poisonous, but boiling them is believed to destroy the toxic substances and make them safe to be used for preserves, jams, and pies.
- An infusion of the plant is used as an enema in infants suffering from abdominal upsets.
- Freshly prepared extract of the plant is effective in treating cirrhosis of the liver and also works as an antidote to poisoning by opium.