Health Benefits Of Celery-Vamaku
Health Benefits Of Celery-Vamaku, nutritional values Of Celery-Vamaku, Celery-Vamaku used in curing disease treatment, Celery, Vamaku, Vegetables
Celery is a vegetable that belongs to the parsley family and is known by the scientific name of ‘Apium graveolers dulce’. The ribs of celery are crunchy and are often used to make soup or salad. Celery herb is known for its strong aromatic flavor it imparts to variety of popular cuisines. It is grown mainly for its stalks, which are edible and used for consumption purposes. Celery boasts of a very pleasant and distinctive odor, the reason why it is used as an ingredient in stews, in salads, in soups, as mix in cocktail drinks, etc.
The Celery-Vamaku is known by many other names in India regional wise like –
Celery called in Hindi : Shalari, Ajmud, Randhuni
Celery called in Telugu : Vamaku, vamu
Celery called in Kannada : Gudda Sompina Elegalu
Celery called in Malayalam : Ayamodakam
Celery called in Tamil : Asamtavomam
Celery called in Marathi : Ajmoda
Celery called in Bengali : Bandhuri
Celery called in Gujarati : Bodiajmoda
Celery called in Punjabi: Kernauli
Nutritional value Of Celery-Vamaku:
Celery-Vamaku is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Potassium, Folate, Dietary Fiber, Molybdenum, Manganese, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Vitamin B1, Magnesium, Vitamin A, Phosphorous, Vitamin B2, Iron
The nutritional values per 110 g of Celery-Vamaku are:
- Calories – 17
- Total Fat – 0.2 g
- Cholesterol – 0 mg
- Sodium – 88 mg
- Total Carbohydrate – 3.8 g
- Protein – 0.8 g
- Total Calories – 17.0 g
- Calories From Fat – 1.7 g
- Calories From Carbohydrate – 12.9 g
- Calories From Protein – 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber – 3.8 g
- Total Fat – 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat – 0.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat – 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat – 0.1 g
- Total Omega-3 fatty acids – mg
- Total Omega-6 fatty acids – 86.9 mg
Protein & Amino Acids
- Protein – 0.8 g
- Vitamin A – 494 IU
- Vitamin C – 3.4 mg
- Vitamin D –
- Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) – 0.3 mg
- Vitamin K – 32.2 mcg
- Thiamin – 0.0 mg
- Riboflavin – 0.1 mg
- Niacin – 0.4 mg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.1 mg
- Folate – 39.6 mcg
- Vitamin B12 – 0.0 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid – 0.3 mg
- Choline – 6.7 mg
- Betaine – 0.1 mg
- Calcium – 44.0 mg
- Iron – 0.2 mg
- Magnesium – 12.1 mg
- Phosphorus – 26.4 mg
- Potassium – 286 mg
- Sodium – 88.0 mg
- Zinc – 0.1 mg
- Copper – 0.0 mg
- Manganese – 0.1 mg
- Selenium – 0.4 mcg
- Fluoride – 4.4 mcg
Health Benefits Of Celery-Vamaku
- celery juice is amazing for increasing sexual drive. Drinking celery juice daily is beneficial for sex.
- Consumption of celery has been found to be associated with lowering of blood pressure, making it good for persons suffering from the problem of hypertension.
- There is an amazing compound in celery called phytochemical coumarin. This chemical compound helps to damage free radical cells or blood. It has been a proven and effective content for cancer prevention.
- Celery is believed to provide calmness.
- One large stalk of celery can deliver up to 10 percent of your daily need for Vitamin A, a group of nutrients that protects the eyes and prevents age-related degeneration of vision.
- Generally, bad breath causes from improper brushing, food particles, and pungent bacteria. If you munch a stalk of celery helps to cleanse bacteria from the back of the tongue. Regular munching on a stalk of celery reduces bad breath.
- Since celery helps in the clearing of uric acid from painful joints, it is said to be helpful in treating arthritis and rheumatic problems.
- Insomnia and sleep apnea are the most common sleeping disorder. The presence of minerals and magnesium makes celery a healer of sleep disorder. Regular one glass of celery juice helps to have better sleep.
- Celery contains very less calories and is the perfect food for those striving for weight loss. In fact, drinking celery juice before meals helps suppress appetite.
- Celery is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus, strengthens the immune system and is also good for those suffering from cold.
- Celery has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and diuretic compounds that are effective for treating bladder infections. Celery seeds are used to cure urinary tract infections.
- Celery has anti-inflammatory properties and is an antioxidant. Grated or raw celery provides relief when used on swollen glands.
- Consumption of celery juice can balance the body’s blood pH, neutralizing acidity.
- It is a great post-workout tonic.
- Celery is widely used home remedy for fungal infection. Celery contains strong fungicides that help to treat fungal infection.
- Celery has a natural laxative effect which helps to relieve constipation.
- During summers intake of a glass of celery juice between meals normalizes the body temperature.
- Celery stimulates healthy and normal functioning of kidney by helping in the elimination of the body toxins. It also prevents kidney stones.
- Uric acid is responsible for gout. It gives good results if you much a stalk of celery or take 2 celery seeds daily. One good option for gout treatment is to drink celery juice daily.
- The potassium and sodium content in celery helps to control body fluid and aids urine production, which is important to remove the excess fluids from the body.
- Celery heals hay fever and allergy symptoms along with other vegetables. Take celery as much as possible with your daily meals as a salad.
- Since celery has a calming effect on the nervous system, it is recommended for insomniacs.
- The phytochemical coumarins prevent the formation and development of the colon and stomach cancers.
The people suffering from the following ailments can benefit from the consumption of Celery:
- Brain Fatigue
- Kidney Diseases (nephritis)
- Liver and Gallbladder Diseases
- Pancreas Diseases
Buying & Storing Tips Of Celery-Vamaku
- While buying Celery, look for one, which is clean and white in color. The Celery should also hold a cluster of buds and should not be separated.
- Buy the Celerys that are surrounded by thick leaves, as they will remain fresh for a long period of time.
- Refrigerate the uncooked Celery in a paper or plastic bag, where it can be preserved for almost one week. Store the vegetable with the stem down so as to prevent the moisture from developing in the floret clusters.
- Pre-cut Celery florets must be consumed within one or two days as they tend to lose their freshness soon. Consume cooked Celery within two to three days of refrigeration.
Celery-Vamaku Cooking Tips
- Stir-frying is a great way of enjoying celery. Cook in a pre-heated skillet with small amount of oil for 2-3 minutes till it’s tender.
- Boiling celery with other vegetable such as carrots is a healthy way of cooking it.
- There are various ways of making celery soups, which are delicious as well as healthy.
- Interestingly, celery can be baked into bread, to serve with lunch or dinner.
- Salads are an excellent manner of having celery. You can enjoy celery salads with tasty dips.
- Celery can be made into a sauce as well.
- One of the healthiest modes of consuming celery is to have it in the form of juice. To give it a better taste, you can make a mixed juice comprising of grapes and celery.
Note: Information on this website is provided for informational purpose only, Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies