What Is Permanent Account Number Card-PAN Card In India
What Is Permanent Account Number Card, What Is PAN Card, What Is PAN Card Number, digits in PAN Card Represents, letters in PAN Card Represents, number in PAN Card Represents, characters in PAN Card Represents, PAN Card
Permanent Account Number Card or PAN Card is a unique identification account provided by the Indian Income Tax Department, issued across the country under the Income Tax Act 1961. The 10 digit alphanumeric number also serves as proof of identity. It is a must to have a PAN number for all those who file their income tax returns, There are many holders of the PAN card-Permanent Account Number Card who are neither working nor file tax returns but have this solely for the purpose of identification.
Once Permanent Account Number Card or PAN Card is issued the account is valid for lifetime and remains the same. Any change in the address does not affect the status. You are eligible to pay tax, if any, from any state within India.
Physical Appearance Of Permanent Account Number Card or PAN Card:
The card size is of the standard bankcard and made from plastic. The card displays the photo of the account holder, date of birth and a hologram as a security element.
You have to be very careful about the hologram. It displays the symbol of the IT department. If you can see it, then you own an original card issued by the Government of India.
Understanding the Permanent Account Number or PAN Card Number
PAN is a 10 digit alpha numeric number, where the first 5 characters are letters, the next 4 numbers and the last one a letter again. These 10 characters can bedivided in five parts as can be seen below. The meaning of each number has been explained further.
1. First three characters are alphabetic series running from AAA to ZZZ
2. Fourth character of PAN represents the status of the PAN holder.
- C — Company
- P — Person
- H — HUF(Hindu Undivided Family)
- F — Firm
- A — Association of Persons (AOP)
- T — AOP (Trust)
- B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
- L — Local Authority
- J — Artificial Juridical Person
- G — Government
3. Fifth character represents first character of the PAN holder’s last name/surname.
4. Next four characters are sequential number running from 0001 to 9999.
5. Last character in the PAN is an alphabetic check digit.